Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Papers for discussion weds 3 Feb

Erik suggested that I pick next weeks’ lab meeting papers to discuss, and so I have.
My main topic of study is mate choice learning and evolution, and I have done experimental work on birds and fish regarding this topic. Though I don’t think there is fundamentally anything different about this topic regarding vertebrates and invertebrates, I have chosen two papers that deal with insect learning behavior. This is to hopefully convince you (if you weren’t already) that this is an interesting topic, and potentially fruitful to study in damselflies. The first paper is a review, by Reuven Dukas , about the different types of learning known in insects and the evolutionary implications. The second paper is an experiment that shows some very interesting interactions between circadian clocks and male mate preference learning.

here are links to the two papers:

No comments:

Post a Comment