Friday, May 19, 2017

On the non-random effects of random mutation

The idea that evolution produces (developmental) genetic architectures that make the effects of mutations biased towards particular phenotypes have come up a few times in recent discussions. Next week we will look a little closer at one of the models that have been used to explore the how and why of this problem.

10.00 in Darwin. Fika and entertainment provided.

 You can find the paper here

Epistasis and natural selection shape the mutational architecture of complex traits
Adam G Jones, Reinhard Burger & Stevan Arnold

The evolutionary trajectories of complex traits are constrained by levels of genetic variation as well as genetic correlations among traits. As the ultimate source of all genetic variation is mutation, the distribution of mutations entering populations profoundly affects standing variation and genetic correlations. Here we use an individual-based simulation model to investigate how natural selection and gene interactions (that is, epistasis) shape the evolution of mutational processes affecting complex traits. We find that the presence of epistasis allows natural selection to mould the distribution of mutations, such that mutational effects align with the selection surface. Consequently, novel mutations tend to be more compatible with the current forces of selection acting on the population. These results suggest that in many cases mutational effects should be seen as an outcome of natural selection rather than as an unbiased source of genetic variation that is independent of other evolutionary processes.

3 comments:

  1. Hello everyone, my name is ALFREED SIANG i am here to say a big thank you to my doctor DR OLU who helped me enlarge my penis.i have never had a happy relationship in my life because of my inability to perform well due to my small penis, due to frustration,i went online in search of solution to ending my predicament and than i came across testimony on how DR OLU has helped them, so i contacted him and he promised to help me with penis enlargement,i doubted at first but i gave him a trial and he sent me the product which i used according to his prescription and in less than a week,i saw changes in my penis and it grow to the size i wanted and since then,i am now a happy man and no lady complains again about my penis.if you also need the services of my doctor,you can also contact him on his email..drolusolutionhome@gmail.com or his whataspp is +2348140654426

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MY HIV HEALING TESTIMONY

      My mouth is short of words, i am so happy because Dr voodoo has healed me
      from HIV which i have been suffering from the past 5years now, i have
      spend a lot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, i have
      tried all means in life to always i can become HIV negative one day, but
      there was no answer until i found Dr voodoo the parish of African who
      provide me some healing herbs that i uses , now i am glad telling everyone
      that i am now HIV Negative, i am very happy, thank you Dr voodoo for
      helping my life comes back newly without any form of crisis, may the good
      lord that i serve blessed you Dr voodoo and equip you to the higher grade
      for healing my life. i am so amazed. so i will announced to everyone in
      this whole world that is HIV positive to please follow my advice and get
      healed on time, because we all knows that HIV disease is a deadly
      type,contact Dr voodoo for your HIV healing herbs today at:
      voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com He will be always happy to assist you
      online and ensure you get healed on time, contact Dr voodoo today for
      your healing hearbs immediately, you can also
      add him on whatsApp +2348140120719 thank you sir.

      Delete
  2. Hi everyone, i'm little ashamed to tell such a story, on how i enlarge my penis by Dr, Ken. it really matters in your relationship or marriage. I got married to my wife about 1 month after we met on a photo studio, we lived happily for the first 3 months of our marriage until i and my wife started having quarrels at home because i couldn't satisfy her on bed with my little penis. Actually my penis was very small, it measured about 3.2 inches long on erection and i am 39 years old. My wife said it was forbidden by the women of this world. My wife started sleeping with other men outside. Sometimes i will return from work without finding my wife at home and whenever i call or ask her where she was, she will always snub at me and sometimes just tell me to go get a larger dick. All this continued for a long time and it hurt me so much that i was at the edge of breaking up on the marriage till when i read about a doctor called Dr ken online. I never thought i could smile and be in a happy marriage again if not for the help of Dr Ken. I got the doctors Website Emails: drkensolutiontemple@gmail.com mobile number +2348102574680    

    ReplyDelete