Thursday, September 25, 2014

A second try to go the Himalayas


 Posted by Erik Svensson

Since we did not have time to discuss the paper on avian species diversity in eastern Himalaya last week, due to the fact that we enjoyed so much listening to Jessica's talk and drinking cava, we make a new try this coming week. Here is the paper by Trevor Price and his colleagues in Nature.

 For a short summary of the findings in the paper I also recomment this a brief comment about the study by Arne Mooers, in a "News & Views"-article in the same issue of Nature, which is also worth reading.

The picture above shows the national bird of Nepal, the charismatic Himalayan Monal, a pheasant that I was lucky to see myself during my bird watching tour to Nepal in 1991, along the slopes of the Anapurna Trekk. The paper interests me for personal reasons, as already as a young bird watcher in 1991, I wondered about the amazing species diversity and how it came about, before I was very knowledgeable in ecology and evolutionary theory.

Date and time: Tuesday September 30, 10.30
Where: "Argumentet", second floor (Ecology Building)

I will bring fika!

No comments:

Post a Comment